"Colour and design brushed by a splash of whimsy have always been touchstones of my work. Primarily a colourist, I prefer the juxtaposition of shape and pigment to that of light and shadow.
My paintings use stylized images known for their colourful pigment, sense of playfulness and the use of outlined shapes, together creating a image reminiscent of mosaics or stained glass. I continue to be fascinated by still life composition for the opportunity it provides me to rearrange and manipulate form to achieve my desired result.
Influences from artists such as O'Keefe, Calder, Kandinsky and Matisse, from Japanese woodblocks and aboriginal art, as well as from travel and other adventures, all combine to create a committed and passsionate use of the watercolour medium to express my enthusiasm for life."
Orillia based watercolour artist, Prudence Smith obtained a BA from the University of Toronto followed by a Diploma in Child Study leadng to the Child Life Department in the Hospital for Sick Children. The serendipity of a summer art course in Haliburton rekindled a childhood attraction to paint and paper.
Over the past 25 years her unique style has primarily evolved along a path of self discovery.
Smith has exhibited in both solo and group shows in and around central Ontario. Currently she is represented by Perivale Gallery, Spring Bay, Manitoulin Island; TAG Art Gallery, St Catharines.
Her warm and lively paintings are in private and corporate collections in North America, Europe and Asia.
In addition to her original work, many of the images are available in card stock. Smith welcomes contact at her in-home sudio in Orillia.
- TAG Gallery, St Catharines
- Apple Annie's Cafe, Orillia
- Perivale Gallery, Spring Bay, Summer, May 24th Sunday - mid Sept
- Up the Garden Path, Rosseau Village, Summer, July and August
- Starry Night, Aug 20, 2016, 7 -11, Apple Annie's Cafe and the Shadowbox, downtown Orillia
- July 15 - Aug 7, 2016, the Gallery at Lagoon City, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Continuing Summer 2016: Perivale Gallery, Spring Bay, Manitoulin Island, Daily 10 - 5 until Sept 19, www.perivalegallery.com
- Up the Garden Path, Fri and Sat through Labour Day, www.upthegardenpathrosseau.ca
- Starry Night, August 22, 2015, 7 -11 p.m., Apple Annie's Cafe and downtown Orillia
- July 25 - August 9, 2015, the Gallery at Lagoon City, 87 Laguna Pkwy, Unit 3, Brechin, email@example.com, Opening Reception: Fri, July 24, 7 -9 p.m.
- Continuing Summer 2015: Perivale Gallery, Spring Bay, Manitoulin Island, Daily 10 - 5 until mid Sept, www.perivalegallery.com
- Up the Garden Path, 7 Rice Street, Rosseau, Muskoka, Fridays and Saturdays through Labour Day, firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 17-19, 2014: Art Sale at Lawrence Park Community Church, 2180 Bayview Ave, Toronto (www.lawrence parkchurch.ca)
- Continuing Summer 2014: Perivale Gallery, Spring Bay, Manitoulin Issland, dail 10 - 5 until mid Sept, wwwperivalegallerey.com
- Summer, 2014: Up the Garden Path in Rosseau Village, open Fri/Sat/some Sun/by chance or appt with 2 days email@example.com/705 487 2788
- July 18 - Aug 18, 2013, Artist Reception, Sat, Aug 10 from 1-4: Up the Garden Path, Village Gallery North, Rosseau, ON
- June 22, 23, 2013 Coldwater and Area Studio Tour, 10 -4 each day, Coldwater Mill, Mill St, Coldwater
- June 5-July 13, 17th International Women's Show, Opening Reception June 6, 7-9 p.m.: OMAH, 30 Peter St S, T-Sat 10-4
- May 19 - mid Sept, 2013: Perivale Gallery, Spring Bay, Manitoulin Island
- April 6, 2013: Kingsway Lampton United Church Art Show and Sale, 10-4, 85 The Kingsway, Toronto
- Dec 4, 2012, 5-9 p.m.: Christmas Show at Penny Varney's, 114 Muskoka St S, Gravenhurst, until Christmas
- Nov 9, 10, 2012 Oro Medonte Artisans Christmas Tour, The White House, 628 Ridge Rd E, south of Oro Station: Nov 9th, 9-7 Nov 10th, 9-5
- July 6th(opening 6 - 9)till Sept 22nd 2012, Summer Exhibition at Ridge West Gallery, 953 Ridge Rd, Shanty Bay, Oro Medonte
- June 23, 24, 2012 Coldwater Studio Tour, Coldwater Mill, Mill St, Coldwater
2011 and earlier
- June 2011 ongoing, Apple Annie's Cafe, 101 Mississaga St E, Orillia
- Oct 30 and 31, 2009, Lawrence Park Community Church Art Sale, 2180 Bayview Ave, Toronto
- July 2-Aug 20, 2009, Woodside Pottery and Gallery, Craighurst
- Hours M-F 10:30-5:30
- S/S 10:00-5:30
- June 2009, Eclipse Gallery, Deerhurst Resort, Huntsville
- May 2-June 6, 2009 "Colour and Spirit", a 2 woman show with Marlene Bulas, Coldwater Gallery, 14 Coldwater Rd Coldwater
- Sept/Oct 2007 Belonging .... a sense of community, Orillia Museum of Art and History, opening Sept 13th, 7-9
- Sept 26, 2007 Group Show at Assante Capital Management Ltd, 66 Coldwater St, Orillia (opening 7-9:30)
- Aug 25, 2007 Starry Night at The Shadowbox, Peter St, Orillia
- June 2007 OMAH and ODAC 2nd annual juried show, opening Sat June 2nd, 7-9, Orillia Museum of Art and History, Peter St, Orillia
- phone 705 325 9029
- May 5th and 6th, 2007 Artist at Home, 40 Maple Dr, Orillia, 11-5 each day
- Nov 17-18, 2006 Oro Medonte Artisans Christmas Tour, St Thomas Church Hall, Line 2, South Shanty Bay Village ON: Fri, Nov 17th, 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Sat, Nov 18, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Aug 2-Sept 3, 2006 Same Same but Different,Coldwater Gallery, Coldwater ON Opening Reception: Thur Aug 10, 5-8pm www.coldwatergallery.com
- May 2006 Artist at Home, 40 Maple Dr, Orillia ON
- May, 2005, "Vivace" at COOP Gallery, 112 Scollard, Toronto ON
- July, 2004 - Jan, 2005, "Voila", Royal Victoria Hospital, Upper Entrance, Barrie, ON
- Mar, 2004/03 - Inside Art, Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto, ON
- Mar, 2004/03/01/00/1999/98/97 -International Women's Day Exhibition, Courtfolio or Coach House Gallery, Orillia
- Oct, 2003/02/1 - McMichael Autumn Art Sale, McMichael Gallery, Kleinburg
- Nov,2001 - Artist at Home, Market Square, Toronto
- Apr, 2001 - Counter Point, Acadia Gallery, Toronto
- Sept, 2000 - Visual Counterpoints, Double Door Studio, Anton Mills
- Apr, 2000 - Paintbox, Diego's, Toronto
Perivale Gallery (www.perivalegallery.com), Spring Bay, Manitoulin Island, ON;
TAG Art Gallery (www.tagartgallery.ca), St Catharine's ON;
Up the Garden Path (www.upthegardenpathrosseau.ca), Rosseau, ON;
Apple Annie's Café, Orillia ON
Contact by phone or email:
705 325 9029
RETAIL OUTLETS FOR CARD STOCK:
Quest Gallery Shop, Midland;
MacLaren Gallery Shop, Barrie;
Leacock Museum, Orillia;
Orillia Museum of Art and History;
Street's Flowers, Orillia;
Woodside Gallery, Craighurst;
Perivale Gallery, Spring Bay, Manitoulin